Upcoming Events

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Parenting advice from God

Hearing from Becky Teeter about "a mother's mouth" on Monday and knowing that Jody Capehart will enlighten us into the world of discipline at the next meeting has really got my mind going. It seems the only real times my mouth gets me into trouble (well, with my little one anyway) is when it comes to discipline. Ah, the ever popular topic of discipline. It seems to be the one thing that we argue with our own mothers about, the thing we are often most defensive about, the thing we spend the most time studying up on, and for most of us... the place where we get most frustrated in parenting. 

Since AJ was born, I've really learned a great deal about the grace of God and what exactly that means. In all of the research I do about parenting, I have learned the most by looking to scripture - to see God as my father and look to Him and to His Word for His "parenting advice." Ephesians 3: 18 (just happens to be the MOPS theme verse for this year - isn't God good!) states "... how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ..." His love is immeasurable. There is NOTHING I can do that will make Him love me any more and there is NOTHING I can do that will make Him love me any less. How's that for a model to follow?

This might be fun for our first "discussion." Comment below to recommend references on discipline you've found helpful. I've just picked up a few things by Dr. Tim Kimmel on Grace Based parenting (www.familymatters.net), and I know that many in our group are fans of Love and Logic (www.loveandlogic.com).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is such a good lesson to read and remember....am feeling a bit tired this afternoon and will use those words as inspiration when dealing with disciplining my two-y/o, an act that will inevitably take place multiple times before Dad gets home! I also like to repeat the mantra"be present" when I feel myself struggling to maintain my composure. Remember, the will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you!!